Pages

Myths & drunkenness

“And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.”
Habakkuk 2:2-3
So the other day we could not leave the car park as there were railway wagons blocking the exit from the car park.(Where do I work that’s got railway tracks? In the industrial area of my town ) So we thought it better than complain about it, why not chat about it? So we got to know about trains and how they’re shunted and why these wagons were taking long to be moved from where they were So we asked if it was true if a train actually derailed when one placed a needle on the tracks What? You see, growing up we’d been told that a derailment would result and none of us EVER tried it. Naughty as we may have, we had a conscience and NEVER tried it. What’s the answer? NO. No, it won’t cause a derailment as it will either be just swept off the tracks or flattened and the train continues on its journey. WOW! So, myth dispelled! Maybe you’ll think we were just plain stupid believing such old wives tales, but I believe there’s a areson why we have old wives tales and also how myths come about There are many facts we have never questioned as they come out plausible when someone explains them And so it is sometimes with faith and religion Many people are too lazy to read the Bible on their own such that they just take whatever the preacher has to say and make it gospel truth What does the bible say about that? Prove everything “Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.” 1 Thessalonians 5:21 There are many things we take to be true that are not FACT There are ’verses’ which have been said to be in the Bible that are reasons for people doing what they do Last year (I like the sound of that better than last month though I’m just referring to December 2012), I attended a wedding at a roman catholic church. This was my first time to attend anything close to a service in a Roman Catholic church So me being me, I was a bit judgmental about what was taking place and when I heard it, oh! I shouted to myself, silently of course! Locally there is a phrase “inwa asi usararadze” translated meaning drink but don’t get drunk. For real? Yeah, for real So some people actually attribute this phrase to a passage in the bible that has NEVER been pointed out to me (I oblige you) Why is this so? I think this is because since it’s said in church so often as a principle people actually think it comes from the Bible But it does not. Time stops me from continuing today but I will revisit this blog at some point this year. For now I invite you to read the book of Jonah.

0 comments: